January 6, 2014

Foodie Files - Sunda New Asian Restaurant

I chatted a bit about my love for cooking in my last post so I'm excited to share my first Foodie (Files) post! These posts will feature either my cooking or a restaurant I've tried and loved. So, here we go.

The BF and I headed to Sunda New Asian here in Chicago to celebrate our anniversary and after the experience I had to praise him for making such a great decision. The food was incredible and I tried a couple of dishes I usually would cringe at. I went in with the saying from one of my favorite shows Bizarre Foods in mind. " If it looks good, eat it."  A sista is expanding her palate and pretty excited to bring you all along on the ride. 

* Clearly my lip liner was the only thing to survive the meal*





L-R: Crispy Brussels Sprouts Salad - Shrimp Toast - Lobster Wagyu 

We started off the meal with the recommended brussels sprouts salad which was delicious. The crispy texture and sweetness was all kinds of perfection. Even if you hate Brussels sprouts ( like the bf does) this dish will convert you. I was excited to try the shrimp toast being the seafood lover that I am. Though it was tasty to me, I think it is an acquired taste dish due to the shrimp being grounded into a sweet paste. On to the sushi! I love me some sushi but have to admit I half ass it and never eat it raw. But I finally took the plunge and tried the lobster Wagyu roll. It was filled with creamy lobster and topped with Wagyu beef and they complimented each other so well. My first raw sushi experience was a success and I'm sure it won't be my last. 



L-R:  Baked Snow Crab Handroll - Pancit Canton - Complimentary Desert 

I still dream of the baked snow crab handroll. It was literally a melt in your mouth experience that I didn't want to end. The surprise dish of the night had to be Pancit Canton dish that included pork belly. I'm anti pork other than the occasional piece of bacon or rib and that's rare. With this dish my eyes widened with every bite I took. Pork belly has to be one of the best pieces of meat I've ever eaten. Crunchy on the outside and buttery on the inside, what more can you ask for. My mouth is watering as I type this. Yes, it was that good. To top off the night we got a complimentary desert that I didn't get the name of but was also delicious. 

To hit on the restaurant out side of the food it had lovely decor, a laid back yet vibrant atmosphere, and the service was great. They even gave us a signed card along with our desert and discount on our next visit. Great customer service in my book. 

P.S I'll try to expand my foodie verbiage lol.

Have you tried a new dish or restaurant lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment