December 30, 2013

What 2013 Taught Me

If a perfect night doesn't include wine, cake, and a GIRLS marathon then I don't know what I'm experiencing right now. 

With Thanksgiving and Christmas behind us and the new year being days away it's officially time to reflect on the year that was 2013. I have learned so much this year which was full of amazing ups and not so amazing downs. Another year of experiencing the woos of post college life when shit doesn't go as planned (I think that's officially the first time I've cursed on my blog). But you know, in life sh** happens and when it gives you grapes I say just drink a big glass of wine and keep pushing. 

I've been trying to live the whole "happiness is a choice" motto and there has been plenty of days where it has come in handy. Choosing happiness forces me to reflect on my blessing and to just take every experience as a lesson learned. 2013 has definitely schooled a sista and I thought I'd share what I took away from it all.




Keep pushing: I've heard "no" more than what I would have liked to this year, but I've continued to push through each one with hopes of hearing the first yes. With that said I've also been given some amazing opportunities that have helped mold me into the successful woman I'm destined to be. Giving up is not an option, no matter how many times I hear " Maybe you should just do this or that" or " A lot of people don't end up doing what they want to do." I will never settle on living an ordinary life, I don't think my extraordinary dreams will let me.

Keep believers around: When life gets rocky it’s great to have those few people you can lean on and who not only believe in you but believe in your dreams (There's a difference). I value the talks I have with my parents, sister, and cousin. They inspire me on those gloomy days when I can't stomach looking at my indeed app. It also helps to have amazing friends and a boyfriend who makes you laugh until your stomach hurts. Someone to give you a kiss of assurance on the forehead. Someone you can confide in and feel your secrets are safe. I'm in love for the first time and it has been one of the most amazing life experiences that I never want to end.

Keep having fun: I've gotten so caught up on trying to get my life on track that I sometimes forget to live a little. Worse than forgetting I've sometimes felt that I didn't deserve to until I'm where I need to be. While focusing on goals is always a great thing, taking some time to breathe and be happy for what I have achieved so far makes the journey to success a little less stressful. On a lighter note of having fun I've fallen in love with cooking this year. Like real cooking with recipes and everything. I'm no Rachel Ray and I've gotten a couple of side eyes from the BF with a few dishes but becoming a foodie has been a blast. I will be bringing dishes (the ones I've mastered that is) your way in 2014.

Goodbye 2013, you've taught me a lot and prepared me for what I know will be an amazing journey in 2014.


So, what has 2013 taught you?

No comments:

Post a Comment